American Fitness Professionals & Associates Personal Trainer Certification
Become a Certified Personal Trainer and help others reach their physical potential and live a longer, happier, healthier life!
With two out of three adults in the United States struggling with their weight, personal trainers have a great opportunity to help people become healthier and influence people and their lifestyle choices in a positive way! AFPA has provided certification and continuing education to over 85,000 Certified Personal Fitness Trainers, Certified Fitness Instructors and Nutrition professionals worldwide and we are passionate about your success AND your clients!
Did you know? The Median Personal Trainer salary is $56,000 and 10 year job growth is up 24%
- Self-paced, self-study, complete assignments & testing when you’re ready
- After successful completion, you will earn the title of “Certified Personal Trainer” on your certificate.
Requirements for AFPA Personal Fitness Trainer Certification:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- High school diploma, GED or International equivalent
- Comprehensive manuals, video lessons, and digitally proctored online exam or mail-in option (submit exam by mail or email)
- FREE EBook on “How to Start a Successful Online Personal Trainer Business” – a blueprint to increase your earnings with online training
- Testing Options:
ONLINE TEST – Submit your assignments and final examination online and receive your results immediately!
MAIL-IN TEST – Not comfortable with online testing? We have you covered. Select the Mail-in testing option, no internet access required.
- All Learning Materials – 3 Certification Course Textbooks, Exercise Textbook & DVD Set – Descriptions and demonstrations of over 70 exercises
- Study at Your Own Pace – Course Study Guidelines and Completion Schedule to stay on track
- Practice Quizzes – Self assessments to test your progress
- Test When You’re Ready – Complete examination anytime within 6 months from enrollment
- Unlimited Student Support – Before, during and after enrollment
- No Added Fees – All materials and examination included
- Accreditation – Nationally accredited
- Weekly Newsletter – AFPA eNews with latest health and fitness trends
- Member Discount Offers
- NO Travel Necessary
Personal Trainer Certification Course Objectives:
- Identify the business fundamentals of administration, marketing, and management in personal training.
- Employ the communication skills needed in personal fitness instruction.
- Apply the principles of exercise science, human anatomy, and biomechanics to movement design and exercise instruction.
- Name and describe exercise testing procedures to assess cardiorespiratory function, body composition, muscular fitness, and flexibility and give suggestions for improvement in these areas.
- Design educationally- based fitness programs to include cardiovascular training, resistance training and flexibility programs.
- Demonstrate the proper usage of various commercial fitness machines and equipment utilizing appropriate exercise guidelines and spotting techniques.
- Differentiate between appropriate exercise principles and practices for adults, children and older populations
- Discuss exercise testing and training modifications for special populations.
- Operate as a personal trainer in the health and fitness industry and uphold the AFPA Code of Ethic.
AFPA Personal Trainer Certification Course Topics:
- Health, Fitness, and Performance
- Functional Anatomy and Biomechanics
- Exercise Physiology
- EnergyCosts of Physical Activity
- Assessment of Cardiorespiratory Fitness
- Assessment of Body Composition
- Assessment of Muscular Fitness
- Assessment of Flexibility and Low Back Function
- Exercise Prescription for Cardiorespiratory Fitness
- Exercise Prescription for Weight Management
- Exercise Prescription for Muscular Fitness
- Exercise Prescription for Flexibility and Low Back Function
- Exercise and Children and Youth
- Exercise and Older Adults
- Exercise and Women’s Health
- Exercise and Heart Disease
- Exercise and Obesity
- Exercise and Diabetes
- Exercise and Pulmonary Disease
- Exercise Programming for Health and Fitness
- Behavior Change
- Mindful Exercise for Fitness Professionals
- Exercise Related to ECG and Medications
- Injury Prevention and Treatment
- Anatomical Design and Function
- Effective Exercise Selection
- Optimal Exercise Technique
- Core and Trunk Exercises
- Compound Lower Body Exercises
- Isolated Lower Body Exercises
- Upper Body Pushing Exercises
- Upper Body Pulling Exercises
- Program Planning
- Training techniques for strength, definition, and muscle size
- Functional training exercises using the stability ball, medicine balls, tubing and more
- Included are programs for base strength, full-body fitness, and advanced split routines that show you how to combine the exercises into progressive strength programs. By varying intensity, volume, recovery, and exercise sequencing, you can design customized programs for reaching both immediate and long-term training goals
- Passing a digitally proctored exam or mail-in exam with 85% or higher. There is a $75.00 retest if the passing requirement is not met .